|Groups & Sections: ||Socialist Party Youth … Youth Organisation|
|Documents in Archive:||26|
|Publications:||Voice, Socialism 2000, Fingal Voice|
|International Affiliations:||Committee for a Workers' International (1997–2019)|
International Socialist Alternative (2019–)
|European Affiliations:||European Anti-Capitalist Left (European Party) |
European United Left–Nordic Green Left (European Parliament Group) (2009–2014)
|Other Related Organisations:||Labour & Trade Union Group, United Left Alliance, Solidarity, Solidarity - People Before Profit, Cross-Community Labour Alternative, RISE, CWI Ireland|
|Timeline:||View in the timeline of the Irish left|
|Discuss:||Comments on this organisation|
The Socialist Party is a Trotskyist party active in Ireland. It arose from the Irish Militant Tendency, which became Militant Labour after ending the policy of entryism in the Labour party, and later merged with the Labour and Trade Union Group in Northern Ireland to form the Socialist Party. It is a member of the Comittee for a Workers’ International [Majority] (CWI).
Joe Higgins was elected for the party in 1997, and held his seat until 2007. In the 2011 Dáil election, the party stood as part of the United Left Alliance. Subsequently, Socialist Party representatives stand as Solidarity candidates (part of the Solidarity - People Before Profit alliance).
In 2019, divisions in the party resulting from a split in the CWI led to Paul Murphy TD leaving to form RISE, and also the formation of CWI Ireland, which aligned with the CWI [Refounded] (predominantly supported by the Socialist Party of England and Wales).
|Wikipedia||Socialist Party (Ireland)|
- 1998 - Revolution in Ireland 1798
- 1998 - Socialism 2000, No. 3
- 1998 - Women & Socialist Politics
- 1999 - Crisis in the "tiger"? Building the Socialist Party
- 1999 - End NATO Bombing
- 1999 - Terror in East Timor
- 1999 - The Struggle for Socialism Today
- 2000 c. - Fingal Voice
- 2000 - Smash Racism, Smash Capitalism Festival
- 2001 - Dubliners to Pay £95 Bin Tax
- 2001 - On the Brink of War?
- 2001 - Socialist Youth 2001: Founding Conference and International Rally
- 2002 - Voice, No. 61 - Supplement: Nice Referendum Mark II
- 2003 - No War For Oil: End the Profit System
- 2003 - No War for Oil
- 2003 - No War for Profit
- 2003 - No War for Profit
- 2012 - Abortion Rights Now!
- 2017 - Repeal the Eighth… & Abortion Rights Now!
- 2019 - Support The Nurses and Midwives
- 2019 - Victory to the Nurses & Midwives!
- 2022 - Increase Pay Not Profits
- 2022 - Interpreting The World In Order To Change It
- 2022 - It's a Cost of Survival Crisis: Take on the Profiteers!
- 2022 - NMH Must Be 100% Public, Secular & Progressive
- 2022 - Take On The Profiteers! Nationalise The Energy Companies!
A list of known publications from Socialist Party, including those not represented in the Irish Left Archive collection.
|Fingal Voice||Unknown||Socialist Party|
|Socialism 2000||1998–2000||Socialist Party|
|Socialist Alternative||2018 c.–||Socialist Party|
|Socialist View||2000 c.–2018 c.||Socialist Party|
|Socialist, The||2004–||Socialist Party|
|Voice||1990 c.–2004||Socialist Party|
- Socialist Party & AAA Leaflets
Irish Election Literature
A number of leaflets and documents from the Socialist Party and Anti-Austerity Alliance, as well as individual candidates.