|Groups & Sections: Info||Irish Workers Group Tendency
Socialist Workers' Tendency (1977–1980) … Sub-group/Section/Tendency
Workers Alliance for Action (1977–1979) … Sub-group/Section/Tendency
Republican Socialist Tendency (1977–1979) … Sub-group/Section/Tendency
|Documents in Archive:||7|
|Publications:||Socialist Worker Review|
|Related Organisations:||Movement for a Socialist Republic, Irish Workers' Group , Socialist Workers' Movement, League for a Workers Republic|
|Timeline:||View in the timeline of the Irish left|
|Discuss:||Comments on this organisation|
The Socialist Labour Party (SLP) was formed in 1977 and led by Matt Merrigan (Dublin Secretary of the ATGWU) and Noël Browne (then an independent TD).
A number of left groups joined the party as tendencies. These included:
- Workers Alliance for Action - formed by members of Irish Workers’ Group, who left in 1979 (note, documents are also attributed to Irish Workers Group Tendency);
- Republican Socialist Tendency - formed by members of Movement for a Socialist Republic, who left in 1979;
- Socialist Workers’ Tendency - formed by members of Socialist Workers’ Movement, who left in 1980.
The party ran in the 1981 general election, with Noël Browne re-elected as a TD. However, with many members having left at this stage, it was dissolved in 1982.
Other names, groups or sections
Socialist Workers' Tendency
The Socialist Workers’ Tendency was the part of the Socialist Labour Party (SLP) formed by Socialist Workers’ Movement (SWM) members when they dissolved into the SLP. The group became the SWM again on leaving the SLP in 1980.
Workers Alliance for Action
Workers Alliance for Action was the tendency created by the Irish Workers’ Group within the Socialist Labour Party.
From existing documents, it was also referred to as Irish Workers Group Tendency.
Republican Socialist Tendency
Republican Socialist Tendency was the tendency formed in the Socialist Labour Party by the Movement for a Socialist Republic. They left the SLP in 1979.
|Wikipedia||Socialist Labour Party (Ireland)|
Alan Bruce, Anne Conway, Maurice Coakley, Betty Purcell
Irish Workers Group Tendency
Socialist Workers' Tendency
- 1977 - Socialist Labour Party Constitution
- 1978 - Build the Socialist Labour Party through United Mass Action
- 1978 - Conference Notes
- 1978 - Opening Address of Chairman, Matt Merrigan, To the Policy Conference Held at Liberty Hall, Dublin on Saturday and Sunday, May 27th and 28th 1978
- 1978 - Socialist Worker Review, No. 1
- 1978 - Socialist Worker Review: Conference Bulletin
- 1978 - Trade Union and Unemployed Workers Group: Resolutions passed at the April 9th 1978 Conference
Items about Socialist Labour Party.
A list of known publications from Socialist Labour Party, including those not represented in the Irish Left Archive collection.
|Bulletin of the Republican Socialist Tendency||1979||Republican Socialist Tendency|
|Dun Laoghaire Newsletter||1978 c.||Socialist Labour Party|
|Grass Roots||1978–1979||Socialist Labour Party|
|SLP Bulletin||1979||Socialist Workers' Tendency|
|Socialist Labour||1978–1979 c.||Socialist Labour Party|
|Socialist Worker Review||1978–1979 c.||Socialist Workers' Tendency|
|Spark||1978–1979||Workers Alliance for Action|
- Election Literature & Leaflets
Irish Election Literature
Election leaflets and documents from the party and individual candidates.