The Hunger Strikes
Materials relating to the Hunger Strikes of 1980/1 in the archive.
About this Collection
On this, the 35th anniversary of the Hunger Strikes in H-Blocks it seems appropriate to look at the range of materials relating to them in the Left Archive.
The archive contains two leaflets from the National H-Block/Armagh Committee (NHB/AC): “H-Block/Armagh Settlement: British Renege”, and a 1981 election leaflet from Vincent Doherty, a People’s Democracy member who stood as an NHB/AC candidate.
From IRSP Hunger Strike Bulletin’s that encompass the years 1980 to 1981, to Revolutionary Struggle publications that reflect on the strikes, and on to the analyses of the events from a range of viewpoints including the League for the Workers Republic, the Patsy O’Hara Youth Movement, People’s Democracy and Sinn Féin the Workers’ Party.
A few items from the Communist Party of Ireland (Marxist Leninist) (CPI(M-L)) on H-Block and the strikes include a pamphlet on the issue, an edition of their paper, Red Patriot, and The Spirit of Freedom from the CPI(M-L)-linked Dublin H-Block Armagh Committee.
Finally, we include an interesting exchange of letters from August 1981 between Noël Browne TD and Vincent Doherty of People’s Democracy in the Irish Press.
The archive currently has no documents from Sinn Féin that examine the hunger strikes at the time. Any materials of this nature that are available would be very welcome.
- 1981 - H-Block/Armagh Settlement: British Renege [Leaflet] National H-Block / Armagh Committee
- 1981 - Make H-Block the Issue! Vote Doherty No. 1 [Election Leaflet] National H-Block / Armagh Committee
- 1980 - Hunger Strike Bulletin, No. 1 Irish Republican Socialist Party
- 1981 - Rebel, No. 44 Revolutionary Struggle
- 1981 - Workers Republic, No. 84 League for a Workers Republic
- 1981 - Venceremos, Vol. 1, No. 1 Patsy O'Hara Youth Movement
- 1980 - Prisoners of Partition - H-Block/Armagh People's Democracy
- 1981 - Socialist Republic: Emergency Bulletin People's Democracy
- 1981 - Ireland, Autumn 1981 Sinn Féin The Workers' Party
- 1981 - The Struggle for Political Status by the H-Block & Armagh Prisoners is a Just and Heroic Struggle by Revolutionary Irish Patriots Communist Party of Ireland (Marxist-Leninist)
- 1982 - Red Patriot, Vol. 6, No. 3-4 Communist Party of Ireland (Marxist-Leninist)
- 1982 - The Spirit of Freedom, Vol. 1, No. 1 Dublin H-Block Armagh Committee
- 1981 - SDLP Non-Runner [Letter]
- 1981 - Dr. Browne and H-Block [Letter]