1916 Easter Rising: Anniversaries and Commemorations
For the centenary of 1916, this collection highlights documents dating from previous anniversaries of the 1916 Rising, giving a view of how 1916 was assessed and commemorated from different perspectives throughout the 20th Century.
About this Collection
With the centenary of the 1916 Rising occuring this year, it is interesting to see how previous anniversaries were commemorated. We will be adding to the collection with new documents over the coming weeks.
1966: 50th Anniversary
From the 50th anniversary in 1966, we have 1916-1966 from the Irish Workers’ Party (forerunners of the Communist Party of Ireland) - a commemorative volume with essays from a range of contributors. The collection also includes the May 1966 edition of An Phoblacht from the Irish Revolutionary Forces, which addresses the Rising. The Irish Revolt: 1916 and After from the Irish Workers’ Group [1960s] reprints a pamphlet written by Sean Murray around 1936, which provides an overview of the Rising and its aftermath, with an introduction assessing it in the context of 1966. The May 1966 edition of Sinn Féin’s paper, United Irishman, reflects on the celebrations of that year.
1991: 75th Anniversary
From the 75th anniversary in 1991, there is a commemorative edition of Iris magazine from Sinn Féin and the anniversary edition of their paper, An Phoblacht/ Republican News. Also included is James Connolly and the 1916 Rising, a supplement from Class Struggle newspaper, which assesses Connolly’s approach and participation in the Rising, published by the Irish Workers’ Group [1970s] (a distinct group from the 1960s group above).
From the 55th anniversary in 1971, there is a special edition of Irish Liberation Press, a publication from the Irish National Liberation Solidarity Front (INLSF) in Britain, a Maoist group who later became the Communist Workers League of Britain (Marxist–Leninist). Also included is a 91st anniversary (2007) edition of Starry Plough from the Irish Republican Socialist Party.
- 1966 — An Phoblacht, Vol. 1, No. 5 Irish Revolutionary Forces
- 1966 — 1916-1966 Irish Workers' Party
- 1966 — The Irish Revolt: 1916 and After Irish Workers' Group 
- 1966 — United Irishman, Vol. 20, No. 5 Sinn Féin [Pre 1970]
- 1991 — Iris, No. 15 Sinn Féin
- 1991 — An Phoblacht/Republican News, Vol. 13, No. 13 Sinn Féin
- 1991 — James Connolly and the 1916 Rising Irish Workers' Group 
- 1971 — Irish Liberation Press, Vol. 2, No. 3 Irish National Liberation Solidarity Front
- 2007 — Starry Plough, Easter 2007 Irish Republican Socialist Party